Poker Gives was originally founded by poker industry professionals Mike Sexton, Linda Johnson, Jan Fisher, and Lisa Tenner as a way for poker players and the poker industry to give back to worthwhile charity organizations.
In early 2015, the founders passed the baton to When Charity Works, a Nevada Charity. The new mission of Poker Gives is to raise funds through poker events and private donations and distribute them on behalf of the poker world to military families and homeless veterans.
Money is raised in a variety of ways including private donations from poker players, auctions, poker tournaments, home game fundraisers, and other poker-related activities. Poker Gives hopes to raise the bar and more families and vets each year.
From recreational to professional poker players, anyone may donate a lump sum or can pledge to give a percentage of their annual winnings to Poker Gives.
Other ways to help support Poker Gives is:
- Challenge your friends to see who can raise the most money during a designated time-frame
- Donate items for our auctions or prizes for our events
- Volunteer! If you are not able to donate funds, and you have a service or skill that is helpful to Poker Gives, we’d love to hear from you. In the past, most of our expense items have been donated.
- Charity Knockout Team Poker Tournament
- Women in Poker Hall of Fame
- Pucker Up for Poker Gives
- Women’s Poker Association
Poker Gives is a DBA of When Charity Works, Inc. is a Domestic Non Profit Corporation, Entity Number E0222832012-5 and Nevada Business ID NV20121073526, granted by the Secretary of State, Carson City, Nevada. When Charity Works is approved by the State of Nevada under NRS 463.409 to coordinate charitable gaming. When Charity Works, Inc., EIN number 45-5144519 is lawfully operating as a non-profit Federal Tax Exempt organization from the Internal Revenue Service.